Monday, May 26, 2014

Hello, my name is Katie and I'm addicted to potato salad...

Memorial day welcomes the summer and summer brings the potato salad. I love potato salad, the color, smell and taste. It is very rarely that I have encountered potato salad that I didn't like and I can usually have it at a couple special occasions and call it good. Unfortunately, really good potato salad is NOT really good for you and adds up all Weight Watcher points before your belly realizes how full you truly are! I can't just stop at potato salad, however, I'm a potato girl and enjoy my chips too and, for some reason, chips seem to be more abundant during this season as well.

I know that one of the golden rules for permanent weight loss is to not eliminate anything from your diet, the problem is that I do not have the self control to say no to that wonderful root vegetable and, therefore, must eliminate it from the house. I won't say that I will never have these delectable indulgences again, there is just no room for them in my fridge/ cupboards anymore. I want to be a better me and to build my will power muscle but I believe I must also recognize my weaknesses and create an environment where I can more easily obtain my goals.

This week at Weight Watchers we discussed going through our fridges. The message really hit home as I rummaged for food this weekend, not because I was hungry, but because I was enjoying adult beverages. I have been much better about not keeping them in my house but had bought some to celebrate the holiday weekend. The less I have my wits the less I care about points or the cues my stomach tries to send to my brain. I will have to be more selective about the availability of said drinks and limit them to very special occasions in which I have also eliminated impulsive, unnecessary snacks and food. I will be clearing out my own fridge and cupboards this week to start this process. Our fridge and counters are currently full of many fruits and veggies from Bountiful Baskets as well as the grocery store so if I get rid of many of the processed food we'll have no option but to snack on the good stuff. 

My foot is on the mends, I'll be cleaning up my pantry, and be back on schedule with workout classes and half marathon training. All of these steps should ensure an easier road to my goal weight and hopefully before the end of June. I'm not totally naive, I know there will be a few more bumps and forks in the road, nonetheless, I'm optimistic that by attempting to stack the deck in my favor, I will come out triumphant by mid summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment