Friday, May 23, 2014

Sprain on my parade...

Sunday was awesome, I was so happy to have been able to run six miles... unfortunately, I don't think my body was completely ready. My muscles are not sore, but by Wednesday I was feeling pain in my foot. I went in this morning and was praying that it wasn't broken. Fortunately, the PA couldn't find any breaks but she did say it was badly sprained and I had to take it easy (no running) for at least a week. I am more than grateful that it isn't broken but less than thrilled about having to take it easy... and what does that really mean anyway? I have to move around the house and take care of my kiddos and I have to clean up and organize my classroom for end of the year checkout. I guess I'll just have to scale back on all of my extras and pray for speedy recovery?

I did HORRIBLY this week, I'm talking over eating every evening and giving up on tracking points almost the second I walked through the door after school. I know that it started with all the graduations last weekend and as I watched the scale take a hit, my self esteem did too... and as my self esteem took a hit it became easier to give up plus the added stress of last week of school paperwork, cleanup, etc.... it was kind of like my week was set up to destroy any progress I had hoped to make.

So where do I go from here? Past experiences keep surfacing to my mind and saying, "Give up,  you can't do it," "This is your body's way of saying you aren't strong enough," "It's easier to be sedentary!"
It would be really easy to say I'm done, I tried and failed, and move on but no, I just can't throw in the towel. I have to take this opportunity to prove to myself how important these changes have been to me and how much better they have made me become as a person. If I give up, I am showing my kids that it's okay to call it quits when the going gets tough. Instead, I will "take it easy" for a week and only go to spinning and weight lifting, I won't do any weight baring activities other than the normal day to day stuff and I will take care of my foot (ice, elevate, rest) as much as possible. I will also amp up my efforts in my diet, no more fluffing it or estimating that... I have to be more strict than normal to make up for the lack of cardio.

After this week I will restart my half marathon training and body sculpting efforts in a slow progression, no jumping into a six mile run! I will make sure to give myself 'rest' days and become a healthy food guru for me and my family. I am excited at this chance to learn from the challenges I've been presented and to grow into a better me. Happy Memorial Day Weekend, Welcome Summer!




No comments:

Post a Comment