Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Back In The Game!

I am so very excited, stressed, and exhausted!

I'm stressed because I feel like I'm on a roller coaster as far as my eating and the scale go. It seems like every step forward there are two steps back and I have been stuck with in the same 5 pounds for nearly 2 months. It doesn't help that there are a constant stream of goodies at work and events to go to that also have treats. I also am stressed with the chaos that is the end of the school year. Music programs, report cards, forms, standards, clean up, check out, as well as my own children's spring/ summer activities beginning... pure CrAzInEsS! On top of that I have been asked to get my aerobic and yoga certifications renewed and to start course work for the SD Math Counts program... Ok, deep breath, things could be worse... now onto the excitement...

First off, I have been looking to change things up a bit to get off my plateau and Sunday seemed to be my day! I had two wonderful friends mention wanting me to join them in half marathons this summer, so I signed up for one (maybe the other one too but we'll start with one)! I admit that I am VERY freaked out by the idea but quickly got very excited when I went out last night to see if I could still run a 5k... and I finished in 34 minutes and ran all but the last tenth of a mile! I was SO excited and happy! It is truly amazing how this first run since starting my body transformation proved to me that I HAVE changed. My body felt lighter and much stronger. It wasn't painful, didn't make my lungs scream for oxygen like it did last spring when I started the couch to 5K program at the Y. I truly believe that all the hard work I've done in diet, aerobics, weight lifting, etc. has made my body ready for the next challenge. 

I am also excited because of an article that another friend sent me today (http://elitedaily.com/life/the-secret-to-losing-weight-is-gaining-a-new-perspective/), "The Secret to Losing Weight is Gaining a New Perspective." The part that really sparked my interest was the part about eating real food. I think that I've been avoiding taking a close look at what I eat because I know it's not healthy enough. I understand calories, fat, fiber, protein, etc. but I want to focus more on all the artificial things and eliminating all of them and sugar from not only my diet but my families diet as well. This task seems overwhelmingly daunting get highly rewarding. I know this will take quite a bit of time but I am hoping that we can make small changes throughout the summer. I know even a few small changes will help me tip the scale into my favor again!

The final thing that has me very fired up is my move up to teaching 5th grade math and science. I am very excited to teach higher level math concepts, I'm a dork and LOVE math! Although I am stressed out about signing up for the SD Math Counts program/ coursework I am also VERY thrilled to get to learn how to be a better math teacher and to understand so much more about the subject and job that I love! Science will be exciting too and getting students ready to enter the middle school will be a great adventure!

All that being said, for obvious reasons, I'm exhausted! Running around to numerous events for school, my family, working out, and keeping up with the day to day has my mind and body saying, "ENOUGH" and "GO TO BED!" I'm pretty sure it will get a little better when school ends next week but won't last long with half marathon training, running around to all my boys' summer activities, two weeks of professional development, and a two week road trip BUT it's ALL WORTH IT! Not only do I have numerous challenges and blessings to look forward to, I feel like I am back in the game. To me, that phrase means that I am pulling myself out of a rut and placing some new goals on my path to make me a better me! I'm on a improved path of fitness, health, professional development, and being a better mom (I'm amped to run my boys around to their activities all summer long and cheer them on).

I'm back in the game and feeling better than ever!


No comments:

Post a Comment