Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Insecurities



What day is it? I honestly couldn't tell you some days. It seems like I go from school meetings to soccer to dance to the gym and to home and repeat. I do love the routine that we are establishing but need to tackle the lingering insecurities that come with moving.

Being completely transported into a new environment should be old hat to me, however, when moving in South Dakota, you're bound to find someone that is connected to a friend or family member. It's really like one big city spread out over 77,184 square miles. When we've moved in the past, people would ask where we were from and then, inevitably, know someone from that area. Here, they ask where we moved from and then say something about how far away and cold it is there. No real connections (and I don't think they understand that we have summers that are just as hot as it is here)!

So how do I make that connection, that's the struggle. I've been in many gatherings for school, soccer and dance that are comprised of other parents similar in age. I haven't been able to break that barrier and introduce myself to anyone yet. I think it has me hiding a bit in my introvert shell. I have pushed boundaries a little by signing up for every PTO event and volunteer thing at the school. There's also this group called CityMoms in Indianapolis (and the suburbs) that is like a club for moms, and dads, that have get togethers, events, etc. and a support network. I'm contemplating joining but don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

It's also been difficult to find a connection with the local church. I love my Catholic faith but feel that they aren't the best at welcoming new parishioners, I should know as this will be the 6th Catholic church that I've become a member at. I have been blessed in our last two homes to have the school-church connection that has made for an easy, seemless transition. Again, no connections means that I have to push myself out of my comfortable hermit zone and reach out. They have a MOMS groups that I was very excited about, however the timing of the meetings conflicts with my kids school drop off... striking out left and right here.

I know that all of these things will work themselves out so I have to remain positive. I'm trying to take all the negativeness to the gym or on the trails and work it off there. Working out has been very helpful to me despite finding that they NEVER seem to have towels and their policy to sign up for spin bikes is a joke. Okay, I just went negative again. I have to work on that, maybe I need to find that yoga dvd I have somewhere?!

Positives: The scale has gone down 5 pounds since I last wrote! Slow and steady. Our house is finally being decluttered of boxes! Throwing more stuff out left and right. I survived my husband's first work trip since moving! I may have had an emotional outburst but I working on not being so needy. All in all, I'd say things are moving in a positive direction and am very grateful for the opportunities provided.




No comments:

Post a Comment