Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Finding Joy in the Ordinary



Some days it takes all your energy to get out of bed, let alone make the bed, make breakfast, clean, dishes, laundry, etc. Other days all the daily tasks seem like blessings. How's that possible? Perspective, mood, a good nights sleep?

The past couple days have been completely ordinary and perfectly wonderful. After a couple weeks with lots of travel and visiting family and friends, all of which I loved, I am very grateful to be back home and in a routine.

I never thought I'd appreciate all the steps in making meals, helping with homework, putting laundry away,cleaning, and organizing things. I'm so grateful for the opportunity that I've been given to do all these things.

I've been trying to find joy daily with some of my newly established routines. I started writing in my journal each morning and evening. I start by listing the things I'm grateful for, even the mundane like making a new recipe that the whole family enjoyed! I also list prayer intentions for myself and others as well as what goal(s) I have for the day.

As well as journaling, I have been waking up earlier to start my new morning routine. I know this doesn't sound joyful, especially since I LOVE sleeping, but I have found great happiness in waking up, journaling, and then making breakfast for my family as well as preparing their lunches. Honestly not too long ago I found this idea as completely foreign and tedious. I was approaching the idea the same way that I used to when I was working full time, as another task on my endless list of tasks for each day. Now I see it as an opportunity to help lesson the load of all three of my "boys'" daily jobs.

I have found elation in organizing the game closet, vacuuming, sweeping, playing with playdough and painting with Natalie, and enjoying the 50 degree weather by taking down Christmas lights and cleaning up the garbage around the yard. How? I see the finished product, even if it's fleeting, I see the happiness in my daughter's eyes when painting or the thank yous from the boys when I make them eggs in the morning.

I aim to add meditation and more blogging into my routine. I also hope that I don't lose my ability to see the joy in the daily things and that my new routines will contribute to my success.

Life can be difficult, tedious, and feel like a constant struggle to complete tasks. We have to make an effort to see the joy in those daily tasks so that, one day, we see the joy effortlessly in all we do. The work is hard, the reward is great.



No comments:

Post a Comment