Monday, May 5, 2014

Putting myself out there means opening myself up to criticism...

I'll admit it, I like a complement as much as the next person. It definitely makes all my hard work seem worth it and pushes me to try harder. I have discovered, however, that there's a flip side to receiving praise, receiving the cold shoulder and/or criticism. Yes, I have been checking into the gym, sharing this blog, and posting motivational fitness quotes on facebook. I am NOT doing it to brag or to make people feel bad about their lives, my two main purposes are:

1) It makes me get off my butt and go do something knowing that SOMEONE may see it.

2) If it motivates even one person to be active, I feel a sense of accomplishment!

I have felt that the more time goes by and the more days I post my check-ins and quotes, I have found a surprising number of people that are distant and unkind when I see them in person. Some have said things like, "Oh, are you going to put this on fb?" or others who won't even talk to me as if I have nothing new to say (I ALWAYS have something to say and LOVE talking to people)!? It actually really hurts my feelings when others don't seem interested in having a conversation with me. Do they think all I'm going to do is talk about what workout I went to today or how many points my food is worth?!? I have three kids for goodness sake and work with elementary kids all day, I have tons of other exciting things to fill conversation with than myself! I love to chat about family, books, movies, weather, climate change, common core, Obama care, or Norway, to name a few ideas...
I would never try to make someone feel bad or guilty but, if someone wanted advice or motivation, I would be more than willing to share ideas or information.

I will continue to post despite having felt the chill from some cold shoulders and harsh words recently. Why? Because I have also had many friends thank me for my motivation and that's what it's all about for me! It does make me sad if someone thinks I am being annoying, however, it truly empowers me and gives me a sense of purpose knowing that something that I posted encouraged someone to get up and do something that made them healthier, more fit, and happier!

Today I ate within my WW points and I made it to Body Rock aerobic class. My body reminded me that I hadn't done either for two days and will most likely continue to remind me tonight and into tomorrow as my legs ache from numerous squats... but it's worth it! I have 4 pounds until I make my goal #1 and 14 until my ultimate goal! I CAN do this and I WILL do this, for myself, with or without anyone's support!!



No comments:

Post a Comment