Monday, September 29, 2014

Busy Life Advise

I didn't realize how much time had past since last posting but life has gotten busy, as it is for so many of us. This notion of the busy life got me thinking while I was running tonight, how can I stay on track with my healthy living goals and manage the chaos? I decided to compile a list of ideas/ advise for myself and anyone else looking for some helpful tidbits. Enjoy!

1. Pre-plan and prepare as much of your week in advance as you can. Pre-cook meals (which I have yet to do), schedule your weekly workout times (and a back up plan), pack your workout clothes and shoes and keep them in your vehicle at all times to avoid any excuses.

2. Tag team as much as you can with your significant other or a grandparent or friend, if there isn't a significant other. An example would be that my husband runs in the morning and I get up with the kids so he can do that, whereas I workout in the evenings while he puts the kids to bed. You could always partner up with a friend and have the friend take the kids on Monday evenings so you can workout and you reciprocate on Saturday mornings.

3. TURN OFF THE DAMN T.V. & COMPUTER!! I know this may be counter productive to me having a blog but I have witnessed many loved ones use the TV and social media as an escape from reality/ coping mechanism. I have nothing against the occasional movie night or watching your favorite show but when you can't go a day without it or be interrupted during your favorite show or are posting half a dozen posts a day just because... you may have a problem! Get up, go for a walk, have lunch with a friend, play with your kids/ grand kids, write someone a letter by hand, read a good book.... Studies have proven that sitting in front of a TV leads to unconscious eating and obesity. Harvard Study

4. Watch those numbers! I know that many experts will say not to weigh yourself daily (and I agree) but I don't think it's healthy to have absolutely NO idea how much you weigh or what your waist size is (the most important measurement). When you choose to turn a blind eye because you know it's going to be bad, you are choosing to not take responsibility for your own health! Dr. Oz- 5 Numbers To Know

5. Make it a family affair. I know it's not the ideal situation, I've had many a child melt down during a family walk. The benefits would be showing your children the importance of being active as well as spending (what should be) quality time with the kids. You can go on a walk, a bike ride, run around at the park, sledding, etc.

6. Don't let injury be an excuse! Do NOT decide that you are hurt and can't workout and might as well throw in the towel and eat more to "feed your emotions". If your arm or wrist is hurt you can still run, walk, etc. If your ankle or leg is injured you can still eat healthy and do some sit ups or pull ups, or lift weights. If you're dealing with back pain or arthritis you can do water aerobics or lap swimming. There are always things that can keep your body active, find what works best for you!

7. Indulge... in water and sleep! Water is so important and it is amazing how your body responds when you start drinking the proper amount. Sleep is equally important, your body and brain need time to recover so they can efficiently do their jobs (and so we can handle our chaotic lives).

To be continued... talking about sleep has made me realize that I need to hit the hay so I'll save some more tidbits for later this week!



P.S. Here are some funny memes to end the night with a chuckle!





No comments:

Post a Comment