Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The Long Road to Success

Sometimes it's good to take a look at your past. I know the expression that you can't move forward if you are looking in the past, however, I feel that I need to appreciate how far I have come so to give me the little nudge I'm in desperate need of to move to the next level!

Quick Recap: I had my last baby in November 2012 and then began a couch to 5K program the spring of 2013 which was a small first step in the right direction. I decided to take the next step January 2014 and joined Weight Watchers, seeing results immediately. In March of 2014 I rejoined the Y and started going to aerobic classes. Since then I have run a few 5Ks, a 10K, and am beginning to teach some aerobic and strength classes. I have gotten rid of 20 pounds and about 16 inches around my body. 

What have I learned thus far?

1. You can NOT expect to lose weight with exercise alone, changing your diet is the key to long term success.

2. Exercise is an amazing way to release stress and although some days it is difficult to convince myself to be active, I am always glad that I did!

3. You need a great support system. I am fortunate to have a husband that has been doing it right along with me, taking his morning runs while I get up with the kids so I can go in the afternoon/ evenings while he does his part. I also have Weight Watchers meetings that hold me accountable as well as a couple online motivation groups via facebook that helped kept me going on tough days. Along with all that I have some great friends to talk me into a walk, run, workout or even just a text to motivate. (If you do not have a support system in place, find someone, a group or a friend, even a walking buddy to help get you going!)

4. I believe that if you are dealing with too many stress factors (i.e. unhappy at work, unstable marriage/ family issues, financial or other problems) that is nearly impossible to tackle a lifestyle change of diet and exercise. I am so completely fortunate to have all my ducks (for the most part) in a row and to feel extremely blessed on a daily basis. (P.S. This took many job changes, counseling sessions, moves and numerous rough patches).

5. My journey is just that, a journey, with no end. I become very frustrated with how "slow" it is taking to get to my goal weight but, after looking at how far I've come in what truly hasn't been that long of a time, I know that I am capable of so many more things than I had ever thought possible. I will reach my goal weight and other goals, I will continue to revise those dreams as I continue through and create this new self.

Happy Wednesday everyone, it only gets better from here!

My Cooper and I dancing in Jan. 2013

Me at Natalie's baptism March 2013


Fourth of July in the Bad Lands 2013



The boys and I on our summer vacation June 2014

My husband and I, June 2013 and June 2014




No comments:

Post a Comment