Friday, April 25, 2014

If in doubt, give a complement...

"Wow!" "You look great!" "Have you been losing weight?!" "That outfit looks great on you!"

I'm not picky, I'll take any complement I can get! My love language is Words of Affirmation (The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman) and I have worked hard to learn to take a complement with grace. I used to brush it off as something that someone felt they had to say, now it boosts my mood and makes me more aware to give complements out as much as I can. I think that even the most mundane complement, "Your hair looks really good today," has the potential to change that person's day.

There is a down side, however, that I have discovered in recent weeks. I've been working so hard since January on my diet, since March working out like a rock star, I've dropped a couple of pant/dress sizes and am noticeably fitter so when I run into someone that I haven't seen in awhile (i.e. family, friends at Easter or other gatherings) and they say nothing... absolutely nothing, I am very discouraged. I start to question whether I really have been doing well or if the outfit I am wearing doesn't show my new self as well. It sets me off into a negative tail spin.

I talked to a friend of mine about this dilemma and she noted that she doesn't always complement people because she doesn't want them to think that she thought they looked bad or fat before. I never thought about it that way and I guess I would never take a complement in that manner since I know I've worked so hard to get here... but at least I understand a different perspective. I read a few other blogs on the subject and some mention jealousy, which I can also understand to a point. I know there are others who don't like that I am constantly checking in on fb to the Y or mentioning my weight loss... I honestly don't do it to make people jealous or angry with me or to make them say, "Way to go," I really, truly hope that I am inspiring someone to get up and do something. Whether it be to go on a walk or sign up for a fitness class or join me for some yoga or even join Weight Watchers... I want everyone to be successful, I cannot tell you how happy it makes me when someone tells me they came to class because of me or they started tracking their calories again after reading one of my posts... I want to make a difference in someone's life!!

Okay, back to my main point, I understand that some are unsure about giving out complements to others that look to have shed some weight but I say, "If in doubt, give a complement!" I'm not saying to go up to someone and say, "Holy crap, you must have lost a ton of weight!" but I do think a simple, "You look good" or "Have you been working out?" won't hurt anyone's feelings. If that's asking too much, simply tell someone their outfit or their hair looks nice or give them a warm smile.

I will continue to post my workouts and motivational quotes in an effort to inspire others and hopefully others will feel inspired to give someone, anyone, a complement to help them through their day!


No comments:

Post a Comment