Thursday, December 4, 2014

You Do Not EARN a Piece of Cake!


While lifting weights this afternoon I was thinking about all the workouts I've done and how I should be well within my BMI. So what gives? I have people watched many times in the gym and every body is unique. What makes some look so thin and trim and others, that do the same amount of exercise or more, not? It all comes down to the kitchen and the mind.

I have heard countless times from regular class attendees that they come because they "like food too much." There is a fine line between enjoying a treat every once in awhile and treating yourself to a big mac, fries, and a diet coke because you "earned" it from that intense cycling class. The amount of calories being burned has to balance the amount being consumed, in truth, if you're trying to lose weight, the amount going in has to be less than the amount being burned. It doesn't matter how many miles you run in a week, if you aren't tracking your calorie intake those little treats that you believe you earned negate all your hard work.

Don't get me wrong, you can still create strong muscles and increase your metabolism through your intense cardio and/or strength training, but all that hard work will be camouflaged with the fat and excess weight. I believe that many people, including myself, give up so quickly on workout routines because they don't see instant results. Some continue to stick with it (me again) because they feel the difference mentally and physically but may eventually quit because those long hard workouts continue to reap no benefits.

The only way to stop this viscous cycle is to take a hard look at your diet. What are you consuming? Are you allowing yourself to have a little taste of this or just a couple little cookies? Do you finish a run and stop to pick up a bag of chips on the way home? Are you consuming enough protein for all muscle you are building? How about those fruits and veggies? They provide the nutrients your body craves. And water? I know when I start drinking more water my body reacts positively within a couple days!

Take the time to critically look at the food you have in your home, especially now with the holidays! Don't allow yourself to obliterate all your hard work with a chocolaty treat that satisfies for a few brief moments.

Be mindful!







No comments:

Post a Comment