Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Do as I Say and Not as I Do

Wow, I guess I let time and life just slip right past me! I have been running a Holiday Survival group and trying to motivate others to watch what they eat and get up and be active. The goal is to NOT gain and possibly to lose over the holidays. I have to say, however, that I'm totally failing as a role model.

I went into Thanksgiving feeling pretty good, started the day with the Turkey Trot 5K and followed it with a healthy protein shake... but that's where the healthy choices stopped. I broke the one rule that seems to be my ticket to healthy eating disasters... drinking alcohol. I won't lie, I love how relaxed alcohol makes me feel but, unfortunately, that lackadaisical attitude carries over into my eating habits. I don't think and just eat what tastes good. Needless to say, I gained some weight. The next day I did a lot better and got a workout in, drank a lot of water and even planned on facing the scale at WW the next day. Unfortunately, I also decided to have a "squat & plank off" with a 17 and 13 yr old. I won but definitely strained a hamstring and thus took some pain meds/ sleep meds and slept right through my WW meeting as well as my workout and straight into the middle of Saturday morning!

I'd love to tell you that I pulled myself up by the bootstraps and kicked it into high gear but that would be untrue. I DID go to step class on Sunday, Chisel Monday, treadmill Tuesday and Cycling/ Tabata today, despite that effort I did NOT watch what I ate and continued to not only clean up the unhealthy leftovers at the house but devoured the candy that was brought to the staff room at work and overindulged in the treats provided at the inservice today.

How can I fix this and move on?
1) Re-evaluate my goals... a) I REALLY want to be a WW leader, I believe in their mission and know it works. b) I want to get into the middle of my BMI range so I feel confident even when I have my slip ups (knowing I can get back down without too much difficulty). c) I want to help others on their healthy living transformation but cannot feel competent doing so unless I am doing my best 90% of the time!  d) I want to be a role model for my kids, showing not only healthy living but that they CAN achieve their goals and MAINTAIN/ inspire others!

2) I'm not going to give up, I'm going to brush myself off and reboot.

3) Focus on the positive, I've been working out, I beat two atheletic teens in a squat and plank competition, I am getting much fitter and fit into the smallest size since pre-puberty. :)

4) I will focus on my water intake and increase the fruits and veggies, decrease the carbs and dairy.

5) Pray. Anytime I get overwhelmed or stressed I need to take the time to pray about it and seek God's guidance.

Last Thoughts:
What are your health goals? Are you taking steps to not gain the dreaded holiday weight? Remember to focus on enjoying time with family and friends, the food is secondary. If it's nice out, go on a walk after a big holiday meal or play Just Dance or another fun Wii game with family & friends! Enjoy the season.
Plank Challenge (I'm in the blue)



Squat Challenge, I did a little over 300!

No comments:

Post a Comment