Saturday, June 7, 2014

Success comes to those who wait... and work, work, work!

Finally a GREAT week! I tracked all my food and all my workouts and it showed! I was really upset with myself at the beginning of the week, so I put on my big girl pants and got to work. I had to travel all week to a professional development all but didn't let that deter me. I made sure to work out everyday, even if it was a walk/jog. I did a couple free weight classes as well as my abs, guns, and buns challenge I've been doing. I REALLY felt my muscles on Tuesday after an intense Monday night Chisel class but pushed through it for a 4 mile run on Wednesday and finished the week with a 5K in Watertown. It was AWESOME! I ran a new personal best at 28:24. It felt incredible. I started running and had to let all my performance anxieties go. After I had done that, I focused on my breathing, posture, stride and releasing any unnecessary muscle tension. I didn't have my music going so I kept pace with my breath and was surprised as I kept passing other runners, especially those whom I consider to look much more fit than me. I encouraged a few of the younger runners (there were a lot of elementary kids running) and got advise from one little guy as I started down St. Anne's hill. He said, "Make sure to keep your stride long." I thanked him as I strutted down the hill and built momentum. I thought about slowing to a walk near the zoo but saw an even younger runner working hard and that just motivated me to keep going. I ran the whole way and pushed myself at the end, continuing through the parking lot after the finish line to get the official 5k distance (not just the 3 miles that the race ended at). I think the cherry on top for me was running the race with my husband (who finished 9th overall) and friends. It makes a big difference when you get to encourage others and support them before the race begins and as they finish.

The working out was not the only thing that made this week amazing. I also kept to my Weight Watcher points as well as MyFitnessPal.com calorie intake. I was very vigilant about what I was eating and was faced with many temptations. The professional development that I attended had the temptations of travel food (an hour there and an hour back that I could have been munching), as well as a goodies table in the classroom filled with salty and sweet delicacies. I made the decision to pack my own snacks and to eat salads for lunch. I indulged in a few of the dark chocolates on the table but also made sure to record them soon after I ate them. It does take me an extra effort to record everything I eat into two places but I have to say that it has kept me twice as accountable. Not only do I have to see how many points I have eaten but I also see the calories and the breakdown of fats, sugars, carbs, etc.

I knew that I wasn't going to be able to attend this week's WW meeting in Pierre so I found a meeting in the cities (where we were going for a graduation) and knew that no matter what, I was going to weigh in this week. I'm sure that also helped to keep me focused this week. I was so happy to follow up that 5k run last night with the weigh in this morning where I discovered 2 more pounds had disappeared. I am elated to announce that I only have 3 pounds before I will officially be within my BMI range. I am so filled with anticipation to see that number and now that it is within reach, I am starting this week with immense enthusiasm. There is nothing that can stop me. I will be in Spearfish all week for another professional development and will take the extra "me" time in the evenings to go on walks, runs, workout at the gym and plan to get caught up on a little r&r when not straining my brain with Geometry!

Wow, this post became a book... I'll save my remaining thought for later this week! Wishing a joyous, healthy week to all those who take the time to read this post (and those who don't)!


No comments:

Post a Comment