Saturday, June 14, 2014

A Week Without A Scale

I know for some it may seem like a small feat however, for me, a week without a scale was an overwhelming obstacle in my weight loss journey. I know that you are not supposed to weigh yourself daily and I have gone days here and there without weighing myself, but I use it as a gauge to determine how the day before went and if I need to work extra hard to make up for bad decisions the day before.

This week I went to Spearfish (BHSU) for Geometry Camp (professional development). I was worried about how I would handle not being able to plan my meals, I was eating at their dining hall, and sitting in a classroom for 8 hours everyday. I brought along my running shoes and some fitness bands as well as some fruit & healthy snacks to help. The temptations were abound, BHSU has a great variety of tasty foods including a Mongolian Grill, Burger Bar, Pizza Line, Homemade Delicacies, and Dessert Counter. I used all the will power I had and stuck to the Salad Bar and Wrap Counter and loaded up on as many veggies as I could to deter myself from those other amazing foods. I believe that not having a scale and not knowing if the day before had affected my weight made me more mindful of my food choices. I was more adamant about recording my food on WW and on Myfitnesspal since those were the only tools I had to keep me "in control."

The absence of the scale and beautiful Black Hills also motivated me to get outside and be active. A typical day consists of doing some kind of workout but if the scale reflects no change or an increase I will usually amp up my workout. Since I didn't have that tool, I looked at everyday as a day to push myself. I ran the exquisite trails that weave throughout Spearfish, following the creek. I also utilized the campus fitness center when the weather wasn't as cooperative. My best workout came on my solo journey to Spearfish Canyon one evening. After a very scenic drive, I arrived at The Lodge which consists of beautiful trails. The first one was a hefty hike 1000 feet up. All my squats and lunges really paid off as I set off on the steep incline reaching a peak overlooking the canyon. The second trail lead to an amazing waterfall (pictures from both posted below). I have to say, I LOVE hiking and wish I could do do it more often!

The results of my week: 2 more pounds gone forever, 1 pound away from being in my BMI range, some much needed time by myself, and new friendships made through my Geometry Camp. I was fortunate to meet some wonderful people this week and to overcome challenges that this week presented to me. All and all a great week but I'm also very grateful for the coming week and spending quality time with my family and being a mom! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment