Sunday, January 25, 2015

Struggling to listen to my body

I have been training hard and eating well but apparently too much so. I was so very proud of myself last week Monday when I weighed in for my newest challenge group at the Y. I was down nearly 6 pounds and only 7 pounds from my goal. I am very sad to report that not only did I allow myself to over celebrate my son's birthday week and a visit to my parent's house. It wouldn't have been so bad but I have been babying my right bicep tendinitis from overuse and then, while running on Friday, I suddenly had a very painful lower left abdominal muscle. It hurts when I run, jog, climb stairs, twist, etc. 

Everything I have read says that I have over exercised or used improper form. I had signs; my bicep tendon started hurting a few weeks prior, my side has been hurting on and off when I've been running, however, I never felt that I was overextending myself. In fact, other than the few tender spots, my energy level has gone up and I've felt so much better.

This leaves me in a very uncomfortable position, in unfamiliar territory. I want to train, to run, to weight lift. I have taken a break for the last couple days but my side is still very tender and I know I need to re evaluate how I am going to face this week. Because of the damage I did with my diet over the past couple days, I know that being overly careful with my diet will not be enough. I also know that I need to teach on Wednesday. Keeping this in mind, my goal is to find a way to exercise safely this week. I have to find a way to not cause anymore damage but to burn some extra calories.

Those readers that were hoping for some cooking updates, no worries! Although I have gotten side tracked with my little injury pity party, I will be adding in my cooking adventures soon. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment